Thursday 27 June 2013

Hill End: In the Studio

The residency at Hill End provided the opportunity of four weeks to dedicate to my art practice. Leading up to the residency I thought four weeks would be ample time to work through my ideas and concepts. As it turned out, the time passed way too quickly, and I left with more ideas than when I arrived!

The purpose  built studio is at the back of the cottage and has the most wonderful natural light. It is heated by a small pot belly stove, which although smoked like billy-o was great for heating up water for my cups of green tea.

 I had the opportunity to teach myself how to make 2 part plaster casts and from these I made a collection of porcelain slip cast bottles.


The fences and gates in Hill End are fascinating (a post about these can be found here), and I spent time documenting them in my sketch book. I decided these would translate well into etchings using the non-toxic method I learnt a year or so ago. 

Without access to a potters wheel it provided me with the opportunity to explore making shapes using hand building methods.

The studio was just a delightful place to be in: great light, sizeable working space and surrounded by interesting objects.
Studio view
I just love the big old gilt mirror 
And the studio storage
Even the reflections are picturesque

The creativity was not contained in the studio and often spilled into the kitchen


and lounge room where I worked if it got really cold since it had a wonderful fire that I kept going day and night.
Im really looking forward to finishing this body of work, which will be exhibited at Barometer Gallery in Sydney later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails